Nirvana probably smells like banana bread. It’s my favorite smell in the world. I mean I’d probably buy banana bread scented laundry detergent if I could find it. Anybody?
I don’t know anyone that’s never bought one banana too many. We all do it. You too! And we end up with freezers full of brown bananas. Fear not, this recipe is the secret to use up that stash of overripe frozen bananas.
When I started baking banana bread, it was a simple, moist loaf that I gobbled daily before rushing to class or work. I’ve perfected it over the years, adding chocolate and sponge taffy, making it the most decadent, ooey-gooey banana bread – which I still have for breakfast.
Go get those bananas out of your freezer. You know you want it.
Ooey-Gooey Banana Bread with Chocolate + Taffy
- 3 over ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 C plain yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 C coconut oil (melted)
- 2 C all-purpose flour (you can replace half with Whole Wheat and still get excellent results)
- 1/3 C sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 C crushed sponged taffy (so that the pieces are about almond-sized)**
- 1/2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF and thoroughly butter a loaf pan;
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the chocolate and the sponge taffy. Set 1/3 aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, yogurt, vanilla, eggs and melted coconut oil. Mix until smooth;
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, 2/3rd of the chocolate & sponge taffy mix;
- Pour the banana mixture on top of the flour mixture and stir until combined (but don’t over do it. It’s ok if it’s still slightly lumpy);
- Pour the batter in the loaf pan, sprinkle the chocolate and sponge taffy that you had previously set aside on top of the batter and bake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes;
- Remove from the oven and allow to chill on the counter prior to removing from the pan;
- Eat ravenously.
**If you don’t have sponge taffy, this can also be made by using 1C Rolos instead of the chocolate and sponge taffy. If you’re not into caramel, you can replace the sponge taffy with walnuts and it’s still super good – just slightly less ooey-gooey.